A repository of parrot-human relationships. The beautiful and the ugly. The joys and the pain. The heart-warming and the heart-wrenching. And then some Buddhist content once in a long while.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Rescue of Yahu, the Dusky Conure



I came across this yahoo auction post one night that I will never forget. In the picture was a shabby looking dusky conure being kept in a hamster cage. The first look of the picture tugged at my heartstrings. The living condition was totally a turn off. Even my conure at home is so much luckier compared to it.

I was actually having second thoughts about biding for the bird as I have two other parrots at home. A friend somehow managed to get me to bid for it. I must say that the bidding process took quite awhile. Somehow the lady who put up the post could not be reached at all. She posted 3 posts in the auction but I’ve only bided for one. Since there was nobody bidding for the dusky, I naturally won the bid. By then, my patience grew thin. Although I’ve won the bid but the lady still did not contact me at all. My friend and I decided to give up bidding for the bird.

Few days later the lady replied my mail. She said she was in Malaysia therefore didn’t read my mail. She agreed on letting me have the dusky since I’ve won the bid. I left her my contact number and she called me the next day. The process of getting the dusky was quick. I took the dusky home that very day she called me.

Dusky looked skinny when I brought it home and it’s tail feathers were breaking off.
I soon found out that it is perfectly tame. It loves head scratch and even eat out from my hand. I soon introduced dusky to my black capped conure (millie) and my parrotlet (junior). They soon became good friends- “The green Trios”.



Dusky is now named “Yahu” (yahoo) since I got it from Yahoo auction.
I hope that I can provide Yahu with a good home. Never will I forget the encouragement and kind donations made by my forum friends.

--Kindly contributed by Louisa
May Yahu has a happy and contended life with Louisa and the rest of her flock!
:)

No comments: